Infertility

Women's Healthcare Group -  - Obstetrics

Women's Healthcare Group

Obstetrics & Gynecology located in York, PA

Approximately 85% of women will conceive a child within one year of actively trying, but for those remaining 15%, infertility can feel incredibly isolating. At Women’s Healthcare Group in York, Pennsylvania, a team of highly experienced OB/GYNs is available to help you through infertility struggles, so you can start your family sooner. Call or book an appointment online today to schedule an infertility consultation.

Infertility Q & A

Why Does Infertility Affect Some Couples?

There are plenty of reasons couples experience infertility. Many are genetic, environmental, or completely by chance. However, there are a number of factors that put women at a higher risk of infertility, including:

  • Age: If you are 35 or older, it may be more difficult for you to get pregnant. As you age, your egg production and viability decrease, making it harder to conceive a healthy child. While it is typically advised to contact your doctor after 12 months of fertility struggles, women over the age of 35 should consult an OB/GYN within 6 months to increase their chances of conceiving a healthy baby.
  • Irregular Menstrual Cycles: The normal range for the average menstrual cycle is 21-35 days, with ovulation beginning approximately two weeks before the start of your period. Falling outside of this range, or missing your period altogether means you may not be producing an egg every month and need to consult an OB/GYN.
  • A History of Abnormalities: Uterine fibroids, sexually transmitted diseases, pelvic infections, or endometrial polyps may put you at risk of infertility, as they sometimes cause inflammation, scarring, and lower implantation rates.


How Can My OB/GYN Help?

Once you’ve struggled to conceive for at least 12 months, schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN right away. Your physician will need to review your full medical history before any further testing.

The next step involves scheduling a transvaginal ultrasound to check for uterine abnormalities such as polyps and fibroids. Depending on the results of your ultrasound, your physician may call for laboratory testing to evaluate your hormone levels.

Should your infertility be linked to ovulation, your OB/GYN will likely recommend oral medications or injections, such as gonadotropins, to induce egg production and increase your chances of conception. Another option is to start in vitro fertilization, which involves removing your eggs and fertilizing them in a laboratory, outside of the body.

What Can I Do to Increase My Conception Chances?

If you are trying to conceive, schedule a preconception checkup with an OB/GYN at The Women’s Healthcare Group to make sure you have the healthiest pregnancy possible. Some of The Women’s Healthcare Group’s top at-home tips for infertility and healthy pregnancies include:

  • Quit smoking
  • Stop drinking alcohol
  • Eat a diet rich in healthy fats
  • Have sex immediately before ovulation
  • Wait at least 15 minutes after sex before getting up
  • Avoid stress
  • Exercise and stay active


For more information on infertility causes and treatments, call The Women’s Healthcare Group or book an appointment online today.